While I was in Tennessee last week, my mom dusted off a Whole Bite oldie and made this Honey Mustard Brussels Sprout and Broccoli Salad. The only problem was, she was making it for one of her friends and not for me to sit down and eat the whole thing in one sitting. Of course we had more important things to eat at the moment, like movie popcorn while seeing LaLaLand for the fourth time and all of the Dairy Queen we could find (Memphis really brings out my refined food palate obviously). But I had that salad on my mind the rest of the week and made the most gigantic version of it the day after I got home. It's been a very brussels sprouty week. The best part about brussels sprouts is that they stay crunchy for dayzz, so salad leftovers three days down the road are just as happy and not at all like the pathetic, wilty party you would expect. But once that was gone, I decided to mix it up a little for my next batch. And by mix it up, I mean add bacon.
This is the simplest salad (3 ingredients!) but it doesn't need much to be amazing. Super crunchy brussels sprouts shredded into a slaw, toasty pecans and salty, crispy bacon. You could definitely add some cheese and no one would be mad about it. But what really makes this salad is the dressing. A chipotle lime dressing with yogurt as a base, it's the perfect amount of creamy, limey and spicy. If words like chipotle and bacon aren't enough to make you want to make this for dinner tonight, well then I'm just not so sure we can be friends.
Also, real talk for one second. I don't know what my problem is, but I have been feeling SO uninspired food wise lately. I want to keep posting consistently but my inspiration is at like level 0 right now. So, if there is anything you want to see on the blog coming up let ya gurl know. Comment below, email me, send a carrier pigeon, let me know what you want to see or what you have been loving lately. I need some major cooking inspiration and scrolling through Pinterest or staring blankly at the cookbook section of Barnes and Noble is doing nothing for me. Ok, that's all. Have a great weekend!
Bacon and Brussels Sprout Salad with Chipotle Dressing
| Ingredients |
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce + 2 tsp. sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
| Instructions |
- Trim the ends off the brussels sprouts and cut any larger ones in half. Shred the sprouts using the shredding blade of a food processor. If you don't have a food processor, use can also use a mandolin slicer or even slice them thinly with a knife. But the food processor route takes about 30 seconds, so I'm all about that.
- Transfer the shredded brussels sprouts to a large bowl. Place the pecans in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat and cook, stirring often, until they smell nutty and toasty. Let cool slightly then chop. Add the chopped pecans and bacon pieces to the sprouts and toss to combine.
- For the dressing, combine the yogurt, oil, lime juice, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add dressing to the salad, to taste and toss to coat.
- This salad makes fantastic leftovers since the brussels sprouts stay crunchy for a few days. If you want it to stay extra fresh, add the dressing as you eat it, rather than tossing it in all at once.