Well hello there! Long time no talk. Well really, long time no blog. If you know me, you know I haven't gone any lengthy portion of time without talking in my entire life. But this past month had been filled with things like moving from Tennessee to Wisconsin, starting a new (ish) job and agonizing over how to decorate my bare walls which has left precious little time for blogging. But I'm back now, with Rice Krispies no less!
Well in truth, this is my second blog attempt since inhabiting my new kitchen. The first was going to be rhubarb blondies, which turned into raspberry blondes when I came away rhubarb-less from three different grocery stores, which turned into a raw doughy lump falling out of the pan in clumps when I realized that I don't know how to cook in my new oven. The oven and I have since reconciled but I thought I would play it safe and make an oven-less dessert for our housewarming party. I mean, nothing says 'welcome to our home' quite like a sweat covered me, attacking the oven and cursing a pan of half-baked bars, but I thought it might be good to come from another angle.
These are not just any Rice Krispies. They are a variation of the genius Deb Perelman's salted brown butter crispy treats. They take the butter that is normally in Rice Krispies, double it and brown it until it is dark and nutty. Just when you are ready to drop dead from how good it smells, you stir in the marshmallows until everything is smooth and creamy. This coats the cereal and is pressed into, hands down, the most delicious Rice Krispies you will ever taste. I added a little bit of vanilla and then topped them with dark chocolate and pistachios. I like to think they say, "welcome to my home, I hate my oven, but I like you."
Pistachio Brown Butter Rice Krispies Treates
Adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
Makes 1 8x8" pan
| Ingredients |
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 10oz. bag marshmallows
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 oz. dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
| Instructions |
- Coat an 8x8 baking sheet with non-stick spray. Set aside. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Continue cooking until butter bubbles, turns golden and eventually turns a dark amber color. Watch it very carefully and stir frequently, it burns so fast.
- Remove butter from heat and stir in salt and vanilla. Add marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth.
- Combine melted marshmallows and Rice Krispies in a large bowl and stir until cereal is coated. Quickly transfer mixture to prepared pan and press it down tightly along all edges and into the corners. It usually works best to use a piece of wax paper, foil or parchment paper coated with non-stick spray. That way you don't end up with marshmallow webbed fingers.
- Let cool completely, remove from pan and cut into squares.