Well, well, well, I think I'm out of my cooking rut. Maybe it's because that whole spring weather in the middle of February thing is over so I'm no longer confused if I should be making my standard February comfort food or something that matches the 70 degree weather. Or maybe it's because I've finally snapped out of vacation mode and back into actual life mode where I have to cook things if I want to eat them. Or maybe it's all because I made curry for the first time ever and have been weeping happy tears of joy about how much I love it ever since. I think it's that one.
I really can't believe I have never made anything like this before. I went through a major curry chicken/naan phase in college but (please don't take away my food blogging license) I always got it out of the frozen food section. But thanks to a genius suggestion (hi, Julia!), I got to thinking about how easy it is to make at home. Which led me down a serious internet rabbit hole of curry recipes and straight into this sweet potato and spinach bowl of happiness. It's everything that I love. Lots of spice, tons of veggies and a bunch of rice/quinoa/bread/whatever to soak up any sauce. UGH, yes. Get at me.
If vegetarian curry isn't your thing, this would be so great with chicken added to it as well. I also really wanted to add mushrooms but wasn't so sure if that would fly by the curry rules. But really, forget the rules. Mushrooms are perfect in everything, it's just a fact. Since this is much more stew than soup I like to have rice to catch any leftover sauce. Rice normally bores me to death, but I have found that stirring lime juice and cilantro into rice makes it 100x better, way less dry and the perfect companion to all your future spicy, sweet potato filled curries (currys? google won't give me a straight answer. help.) I also didn't have time to make naan and have been regretting it ever since. So learn from my mistakes, make some naan and make this curry. Again. and again. and again.
Have a great weekend!
Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry
| Ingredients |
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. red curry paste
- 1-2 tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 (14oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (14oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced (2 1/2 cups total)
- 5 oz. spinach
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- cashews, rice, lime wedges, for serving
| Instructions |
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the curry paste, curry powder, turmeric and red pepper flakes. I only used 1 tbsp. curry powder but depending on your curry powder/how much curry flavor you like you might want to add 2. Give everything a good stir to coat the vegetables and continue to cook for about a minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and coconut milk and stir well, scraping the bottom to get any bits of spice that may have stuck. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to boil.
- Add the carrots and sweet potato and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Add the spinach and lime juice and stir until the spinach is wilted and combined.
- Serve with rice and top with cashews, lime wedges and anything else you like. I like to stir lime juice and cilantro into my rice since I think white rice is a little blah on its own.